Tomorrow Gavin has to be taken to the OR to have a procedure done under sedation. Unfortunately our efforts to get the fluid off of Gavin’s lungs were not successful. He has continued to require larger amounts of oxygen and is exhausted from days of a high heart rate and high respiratory rate.
There is a lot of concern that his condition will continue to deteriorate. He himself is still pretty happy, but is tired and needs to keep his mask on at all times or immediately plunges into desat.
I talked to many, many doctors today as all the teams weighed in on our case. Infectious diseases, respiratory and CCRT all came for a chat. I’ve also shed many, many tears today and have not been able to get a handle on myself emotionally. I feel like I’ve been pushed to the edge of a precipice and have just been standing there for six months waiting to be pushed off. This is not the time to be falling apart though.
The team decided that they need to figure out if he has an infection or not, and the only way to ascertain this is to perform a BAL, Bronchoalveolar lavage. This is a procedure in which a scope is passed through the mouth and into the lungs, then some saline is sprayed into the lungs and taken back out. This sample is then examined for bacteria, viruses and fungal infections. Obviously we don’t take this process lightly given Gavin’s condition.
The team feels it best though, to act now, before his condition worsens. I know they’ve seen a lot of kids go downhill really rapidly in this situation, so we will do this and believe that he has the strength to come through well.
I believe in you Bean. I believe in your lungs and your heart and your brain. You’ve got such strength, spunk and personality. Far more than your mama has ever had in her entire life. I believe in your ability to miraculously recover, not just from this but from all of it. You are my brave, darling child.